Written by Dr.Albana Greca Sejdini, Md, MMedSc
Medically reviewed by Dr.Ruden Cakoni, MD, Endocrinologist
High Blood Sugar Numbers Before (122, 118) and After (140, 142).
by N. Mayfield
QUESTION: Normally, my blood sugar numbers ranged in the two before and after a mean. AS of 6 days ago, 6/12/16 to present 6/15/16.
My blood sugar numbers are in the 3 digits, (ex. before in morning (122)to (140) before breakfast after 2 hrs (118)to (142) after the meal.
These high blood sugar numbers has been happening for 6 days. I don't know what causing these high numbers.
ANSWER: Hi Mayfield,
I went through the blood sugar levels you reported and noted as following:
- blood glucose readings after eating are within normal range (118 to 142). Normal blood sugar levels after eating should be less than 140 mg/dL
- you have oscillating blood glucose fasting (early in the morning) or before breakfast.
Your numbers are ranging from (122)to (140).
There are various factors causing slightly elevated fasting blood glucose including:
- foods you might have consumed at dinner
- morning hormones
- lack of physical activity
- other metabolic problems especially when it comes to thyroid
- overnight hypoglycemia
At this point, I recommend to:
- check your HbA1C level to understand what the average blood glucose during the last 3 months is
- run a thyroid function test
- try to control the foods you eat at dinner: have a small snack before bedtime (example nuts or any fruit).
If everything is ok, then, we should check for possible hypoglycemic episode at night. If you feel sweaty all of a sudden, then, check your blood sugar even if you have to wake up in the middle of the night.
Record the result for future reference as we want to understand if you go through night hypoglycemia or not.
Increase physical activity, especially after eating. Have frequent meals, but in small portions.
Hope this helps. Let me know if I can be of further help.