Diabetes high in morning / normal in evening
My blood sugar levels are high in morning but normal in evening. Why?
ANSWER: Hi Inder,
Thank you for posting.
There are many factors causing high blood sugar in the morning including:
1. morning hormones: These are the hormones that are needed to give a fuel to your body to start the day.
2. high dosage of hypoglycemiants taken at bedtime. They might cause a drop in blood sugar level, which is consequently, shown with a reactive hyperglycemia in the early hours of the next morning.
So,as you may see, there are 2 scenarios noted in here:
A. if you are a diabetic, and are having such problems, I advise to:
- measure your blood sugar levels in the middle of the night
- measure bs in the morning
- get your HbA1C level checked.
Record the results, and report to your doctor to see how to adjust the dosage of medications.
B. In case, you are not a diabetic, and are not taking any hypoglyemiants, I advise to:
- run the tests as mentioned above to evaluate the oscillations of your blood sugar levels
- avoid heavy meals at bedtime, especially foods rich in simple sugar that would cause spikes in blood sugar at middle night.
- avoid meals rich in calories in the morning too to avoid further increase in bs.
Hope it was of help!
Written by Dr.Albana Greca Sejdini, Md, MMedSc
Medically reviewed by Dr.Ruden Cakoni, MD, Endocrinologist